During the 2008-2011 cycle, the Road Tunnels committee reviewed all the terms and definitions relating to road tunnels which existed in the various PIARC dictionaries, in particular the PIARC Dictionary (Theme1 5: Tunnels) and the PIARC Lexicon (Theme 6: Bridges and Tunnels). From all these terms, it retained a first list of 140 terms. These terms and their definitions were reviewed and validated in French, English and Spanish and uploaded in the new PIARC dictionary.
During the 2012-2015 cycle, 4 existing definitions have been modified and 39 new terms and definitions have been added.
This list of 179 terms and definitions was then translated by the committee members in 19 different languages among those which are used by the Terminology Committee.
All these terms and their definitions are available on the PIARC Web site, mainly under the heading "Search per theme" in the page "Road Dictionary", by clicking on "2-2-0 Tunnels" in the list of the sub-themes.
This list is also available in an Excel file "Glossary EN" which gives all the terms and all their definitions in the 20 languages available.
For the realization of this Glossary,
- Pierre SCHMITZ (Belgium), President of the committee during the 2008-2011 cycle, supervised the Glossary;
- the various Working Groups reviewed the existing terms and definitions and proposed new terms;
- Bernard FALCONNAT and Kristen DROUARD (France) reviewed the terms and definitions of the French version;
- Fathi TARADA (U.K.) reviewed the terms and definitions of the English version;
- Manuel ROMANA RUIZ and Manuel ROMANA GARCIA (Spain) translated the terms and definitions in Spanish.
The translations of the terms and definitions starting from the English, French and Spanish official versions were carried out by:
- Arabic: Najla KHOURY (Canada-Quebec)
- Chinese: Mengjun WU and Fangqi WANG (People's Republic of China)
- Czech: Pavel PRIBYL and Tomáš APELTAUER (Czech Republic)
- Danish: Rasmus BANG and Jorgen HOLST (Denmark)
- Dutch: Ronald MANTE (Netherlands) and Willy DE LATHAUWER (Belgium)
- Finnish: Laura VÄISÄNEN and Kristian APPEL (Finland)
- German: Rudolf HÖRHAN and René LIST (Austria)
- Greek: Ioannis BAKOGIANNIS and Nikolaos VAGIOKAS (Greece)
- Italian: Romano BORCHIELLINI, Salvatore GIUA and Carlo BARBETTA (Italy)
- Japanese: Hideto MASHIMO and Atsushi KUSAKA (Japan)
- Korean: Nam-Goo KIM and Seung-Wan RYU (South Korea)
- Norwegian: Erik NORSTRØM and Arild SOVIK (Norway)
- Persian: Moosavi SHAHAB and Hossein ALAMI MILANI (Iran)
- Portuguese: Antonio PINTO DA CUNHA and João PALMA (Portugal)
- Slovene: Drago DOLENC and Boštjan VOLK (Slovenia)
- Swedish: Maria MARTON and Ulf LUNDSTRÖM (Sweden)
- Vietnamese : VIBRA (Bridge and Road Association – Vietnam).